Sunday, June 3, 2012

Restoring my Faith in Humanity

So I was walking home from my friends house just now, right? And quite a few people walked passed me, not to mention the people working in their yards or driving by. And I nodded or smiled or said "hi" to every single one of these people, and none of them, and I mean NOT A SINGLE ONE, nodded or smiled or said hello back. They didn't even spare me a glance. Except for one. I smiled and said hi to this one black lady (rare enough as it is, as my neighborhood is predominately made up of snobby white folk) who was walking her dog AND talking on a cell phone, so she was busy enough and had a rightful reason to ignore me. And guess what? She answered back. And she didn't just say hi, oh no. She said, "Honey, what are you doin out here all on your own? You're too young!" I kind of chuckled, unprepared for her to answer. I thought that she was just joking or something. But she was waiting for a response, so I said, "I'm walking home." She said, "Good."
Now, most kids my age would have a problem with this, thinking along the lines of who does she think she is? She can't tell me what I should or shouldn't do! or I am not that young I can't believe she said that! But I thought that her reaction to my existence was sweet. I appreciated the fact that she cared about a stranger's well-being enough to inquire where she was going when it was almost dark. When no one else did. Thank you, stranger, for restoring a little of my faith in humanity.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice story. It gave my faith in humanity a little boost, too. Can't wait to see you in about a month!

    ReplyDelete